International Seminar "Climate Change Adaptation and Resilience of Roads - LMIC"
06-08 December 2021, online organised from Kampala (Uganda)
The international seminar was jointly organised by PIARC via its Technical Committee 1.4 "Climate Change and Road Network Resilience" and the UNRA (Uganda National Roads Authority). The event, organised from Kampala (Uganda), provides information on the impact of climate change on the road network and its performance, with particular attention to the situation in Sub-Saharan African countries.
Preparatory documents for the Seminar
Summary of the Seminar
Identifying threats and opportunities, strategies, methodologies and tools to increase the resilience of infrastructures, as well as the consequences of COVID-19 are some of the subjects that are discussed during the three-day virtual event.
The seminar is held in English, French and Spanish, with simultaneous translation between the three languages. Participation is open to all those with public positions or private companies working in the execution, design and supervision of road works, as well as students and researchers interested in deepening their knowledge of the seminar's subject matter.
PIARC Technical Committee 1.4 "Climate Change and Resilience of the Road Network" is responsible for analysing from a global perspective the environmental threats and hazards of the future and increasing the resilience of road infrastructure, taking into account economic, environmental and social aspects.
|International Seminar Program - 6-8 December 2021|
Climate Change Adaptation and Resilience of Roads
- Claude Van Rooten, PIARC President
- Mark Henry Rubarenzya, Uganda National Roads Authority & PIARC elected Vice President
- Ernesto Barrera, Strategic Theme Coordinator
- Caroline Evans - Technical Committee 1.4 Climate Change and Resilience of Road Networks - Overview of Activities
- Dr Robert Ochieng, African Development Bank - Challenges for Climate-Proofing Road Infrastructure Projects: African Development Bank Experiences
- Dr Marine Lericolais & Dr Sylvie Souchon, setec - Climate change vulnerabilities: feedbacks from applied studies and insights on methodological tools for road networks
- Dr Yinghao Miao, National Center for Materials Service Safety University of Science and Technology, Beijing - Asphalt pavement high temperature regulation for climate change adaptation
- Caroline Evans, Chair PIARC TC 1.4 & Co-Chair REAAA Climate Change, Resilience and Emergency Management Committee - An Overview of REAAA Climate Change and Resilience Activities
- Virtual Networking
- Session 2: Panel Discussion