New Executive Committee and New President
At its meeting in Cape Town, South Africa, on 21-22 September 2016, the Council of the World Road Association (PIARC) elected its new President and the New Executive Committee for the 2017-2020 period.
Election of the President
Claude Van Rooten (Belgium) was elected President of the World Road Association starting from 1st January 2017.
Claude Van Rooten obtained his civil engineer degree at the Université libre de Bruxelles. He is Director General of the Belgian Road Research Centre since 17 years and Lecturer at the Université libre de Bruxelles.
He was member of the Executive Committee from 2005 to 2012 and Chair of the Communications Commission from 2009 to 2012. He is an honorary member of the Association since 2013.
Election of the New Executive Committee
The Council elected the following members of the Executive Committee:
- Cheick Oumar Diallo (Mali)
- Shigeru Kikukawa (Japan)
- Miguel Ángel Salvia (Argentina)
- Ahmed Al Hammadi (United Arab Emirates)
- Mrs Christine Bouchet (France)
- Roy Brannen (United Kingdom)
- Oscar Callejo Silva (Mexico)
- Richard Charpentier (Canada-Québec)
- M?rti?š Dambergs (Latvia / BRA)
- Mrs Lena Erixon (Sweden / NRA)
- Mayobanex Escoto (Dominican Republic)
- Mrs Diane Gamble (New Zealand)
- Stefan Krause (Germany)
- Bojan Leben (Slovenia)
- Kang-Hoon Lee (Republic of Korea)
- Meor Aziz Bin Osman (Malaysia)
- Mrs Monika Milwicz (Poland)
- José Miguel Ortega (Chile)
- Mrs Marie-Claude Petit (Canada)
- Mrs Ma del Carmen Picón (Spain)
- Massimo Schintu (Italy)
- Alex Van Niekerk (South Africa)
- Walter Waidelich (USA)
- Dejin Wu (People's Republic of China)
- Friedrich Zotter (Austria)
In addition, the National Committees elected Saverio Palchetti (Italy) as their representative on the Executive Committee.
Election of Honorary Members
The Council awarded the title of Honorary Member of the Association to the following persons:
- Mrs Anne-Marie Leclerc (Canada-Québec), Honorary President
- Tchona Idossou (Burkina Faso), Honorary Vice-President
- Jim Barton (United Kingdom)
- Michel Boulet (France)
- Joe Burns (United Kingdom)