ITS Manual - 2nd edition
Following the success of the ITS Handbook 2000, the PIARC Technical Committee on Network Operations has completed a new and extended edition. This new edition takes into account the experience gained over the last years; it provides information about the status of implementation of ITS technologies in 33 countries and presents 39 detailed case studies.
The Handbook is an essential guide for transport professionals and others who are interested in exploiting the potential of these new technologies to improve the situation on our roads.
Intelligent Transport Systems, (ITS) have emerged over the past 15 years as an important means of managing road transport, offering new possibilities for solving what seem to be intractable problems of road congestion, traffic accidents, inefficient logistics, and the environmental impact of surface transportation.
Co-editors of the ITS Handbook are Dr. John C. Miles (UK), chair of the PIARC Technical Committee on Network Operations for the period 2004-2007, and Dr. Kan Chen (USA), Professor Emeritus of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at the University of Michigan, where he founded the ITS research and education programme in 1998.
The French translation was edited by Mrs Sandra Sultana, who chaired the PIARC Technical Committee on Networks Operations for the 2000-2003 period and by Mr Martial Chevreuil, deputy CEO of ISI - Groupe EGIS, one of the founders of ITS France and a member of PIARC Technical Committee on Networks Operations.
Contents of ITS handbook manual:
- What are Intelligent Transport Systems?
- How do Intelligent Transport Systems work?
- What about ITS architecture and standards?
- What are the benefits of ITS?
- How do I plan ITS?
- How do I launch ITS?
- What about ITS in transitional countries?
- What about ITS in the long term?
- 39 ITS case studies (technical and non-technical)
- 33 ITS country profiles
- Human factors in IT
- SITS unit costs
The printed version is sold out.
- Date : 2006
- Author(s) : Comité technique 16 Exploitation des réseaux / Technical Committee 16 Network Operations
- Domain(s) : Road Policies / Road Network Operations
- PIARC Ref. : Manuel STI - 2e edition / ITS Handbook - 2nd editionEN
- ISBN : 2-84060-188-5 Edition française / 1-58053-103-2 English version
- Number of pages : 450