Definition : Zone designed for calmed-down traffic, at no more than 30 km/h having an appearance that differs substantially from that of a regular road and preferably indicated by an appropriate signal.
Note: when establishing such zones, the enactment of some or all of the following measures may be considered:
- creating visually distinctive “gates” at the entries to the zone;
- establishment of a 30 km/h overall speed limit;
- designing roads and adjacent areas in a manner that discourages speeding;
- providing substantial areas in the zone for walking and for non-motorized traffic;
- yielding right-of-way to traffic coming from the right (left in countries moving on left side);
- diverting through traffic by providing bypass roads;
- using various types of pavement instead of asphalt in order to make certain places conspicuous.
tempo 30 zone