Definition : Specially designed area where special traffic rules apply and which is signposted as such at its entries and exits.
Note: in residential areas signposted as such:
- pedestrians may make use of the road over its entire width. Games are allowed;
- drivers shall proceed at very low speed, as specified by national legislation and which in no case should exceed 20 km (12 miles) per hour;
- drivers shall not put pedestrians at risk nor behave in an obstructive manner. If necessary they shall stop;
- pedestrians shall not impede vehicular traffic unnecessarily;
- parking is forbidden except where allowed by parking signs;
- at intersections, road users emerging from a residential area shall give way to other road users, except when otherwise provided in domestic legislation.