International Seminar "Safer Roads that Save Lives: The PIARC Contributions to the UN Targets and Initiatives"
17-19 October 2018, Beijing (China)
Between October 17 and 19, 2018, the International Seminar "Safer Roads that Save Lives: The PIARC Contributions to the UN Targets and Initiatives" was held in Beijing, China, organized by the Ministry of Transport of the People's Republic of China and the Research Institute of Highway (RIOH China), in collaboration with the World Road Association (PIARC), through Technical Committees C1 "National Road Safety Policies and Programs" and C2 "Design and Operation of Safer Road Infrastructure".
Preparatory documents for the International Seminar
Summary of the Seminar
The objective of the Seminar was to present and discuss the progress and innovations that PIARC countries have been making to achieve the goals and initiatives of the United Nations for road safety.
The Seminar began with the welcome to the participants by Mr. Aimin LI, Deputy Director at the Research Institute of Highway (RIOH China). In turn, Mr. Jean-François Corté, PIARC Coordinator for the Strategic Theme Safety, welcomed and presented the roadmap for road safety being followed by PIARC and the contribution that the Road Safety Manual makes in relation to the pillars 1, 2 and 4 of the UN Global Plan of Action.
Subsequently, presentations were conducted on the efforts being made to have safer roads that save lives, with speakers from Australia, China, the United States, Slovenia, Finland, Italy, Poland, Portugal, South Africa, Switzerland, Sweden and Mexico. The topics covered basically referred to the issues that in both committees are being addressed during the current 2016-2019 PIARC cycle.
Kirsten Graf-Landmann, PIARC Technical Advisor for the Strategic Theme Safety, described the Plans for the Abu Dhabi World Road Congress to be held Oct. 6-10, 2019.
Based on the presentations and discussions held during the Seminar, it was concluded that:
- It is important to continue updating, collecting and incorporating case studies into the Road Safety Manual,
- Encourage the development and application of successful national policies and plans.
- Promote the application of recommendable practices and approaches such as: Vision Zero and safe systems; the establishment of credible speed limits; the calming of traffic; the audit, evaluation and inspection of road infrastructure; the infrastructure modernization in face of the transition to future vehicle technologies; actions for the greater protection of schoolchildren and vulnerable road users; the generation of new concepts and findings related to human factors and its incorporation into the design of the road systems; the safer road tunnel operation; road safety data management and research; and training activities for safe design, construction, maintenance and exploitation of roads.
The Seminar convened around 200 attendees per day.
The program concluded with a technical visit to the facilities of the MOT Testing Ground for Highway and Traffic Engineering and to the G6 Expressway.
|International Seminar Program - 17-19 October 2018|
Safer Roads that Save Lives: The PIARC Contributions to the UN Targets and Initiatives
Day 1 - October 17, 2018
8:30-9:00 - Conference Registration
Session I: Welcome Address and Global Road Safety Policies and Partnerships
9:00-9:05 - Welcome to China
• Yonghong Sun, Deputy Director, the Highway Department of Ministry of Transport of China (MOT)
- Welcome and Introduction to PIARC - Jean-François Corté, PIARC Strategic Theme Coordinator (France)
- Overview of the PIARC Road Safety Manual - Roberto Arditi, PIARC C1 Committee Chair; Director of Scientific Affairs, SINA (Italy)
9:30-9:40 - Launch of the Chinese Edition of the PIARC Road Safety Manual - Roberto Arditi
- "One Map" - Risk Management of Road Transportation in China - Ping Cheng, Security Director, Ministry of Transport of China
- Global Road Safety and the UN Global Targets - Rob McInerney, PIARC C1 Secretary, CEO, iRAP (Australia)
- China Road Safety Policy/Development/Future Prospects - Ruihua Zhao, Deputy Director, the Integrated Coordination Department of Ministry of Emergency Management of China
Session II: Road Safety Policy and Strategy Leadership
- National Strategy on Road Safety and Awareness Program in South Africa - Imelda Julies, PIARC C1, Project Manager SANRAL (South Africa)
- China Highway Safety to Cherish Life Initiative - Ronggui Zhou, RIOH (China)
- Global Road Safety Policies - PIARC Survey Results - Ana Tomaz, PIARC C1, Head of Road and Rail Safety Department of Infrastructure(Portugal)
- Sweden Vision Zero policy success and next steps - Ruggero Ceci, PIARC C1, Science Expert TRAFIKVERKET (Sweden)
Session III: 10 minute Case Studies of Success
- Highlights of the PIARC Road Safety Case Study Compendium - Rob McInerney, PIARC C1 Secretary, CEO, iRAP (Australia)
- Vehicle Safety and Enforcement for Road Safety - Hanzhong Pan, Traffic Management Research Institute of the Ministry of Public Security-China
- USA Strategic Highway Safety Plans - Karen Scurry, PIARC C1; Traffic Operations and Safety Engineer, DOT (USA)
- Case studies of China Highway Safety to Cherish Life Initiative - Yanjun Zheng, Highway Administration of the Department of Transport of Hebei Province (China)
- The PIARC Road Safety Manual - Practical Implementation in Washington State - John Milton, PIARC C1 WGL,Director of Transportation Safety, Department of Transport (USA)
- Prevention and Control Measures of Highway Meteorological Disasters in Mountainous Plateau - Practice of Xiangli Expressway - Chengyu Hu, Broadvision Engineering Consultants (China)
- Safety Effects of Lower Speed Limits During Winter Months - Jakko Klang, PIARC C2, Traffic Safety Engineer, Centre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment (Finland)
- Low Cost Interventions on Existing Road Network in Poland - Przemyslaw Padlo, PIARC C1, GDDKiA - General Directorate for National Roads and Motorways, Head of Road Traffic Safety and Traffic Management Department- - Branch in Wroclaw (Poland)
17:00-17:20 - Round Table Discussion at End of Day - Imelda Julies, PIARC C1, Project Manager SANRAL (South Africa)
17:20-17:30 - Feedback - Imelda Julies, PIARC C1, Project Manager SANRAL (South Africa)
Day 2 - October 18, 2018
Session IV: Design and Operation of Safer Road Infrastructure
- Application of Driving Simulator in Road Design and Optimization - Weihan Zhang, RIOH (China)
- TC C2 Case Study on Vulnerable Road Users - Mathias Wärnhjelm, PIARC C2, Engineer TRAFIKVERKET (Sweden)
- New Requirements for Road Safety Facility Specifications in China - Chengcheng Tang, PIARC C2, RIOH (China)
- Major Road Safety Investment Case Studies Around the World - Rob McInerney, PIARC C1 Secretary, CEO, iRAP (Australia)
- Success Experiences Reported in Latin America - Alberto Mendoza, PIARC C2 Secretary) and María Cadengo Mexican Transportation Institute (Mexico)
- Comprehensive Technical Countermeasures for Safer Road Tunnel Operation - Zhongyin Guo, Professor, Tongji University (China)
- Calming Measure in Town Podturn - Uroš Brumec , PIARC C2, Road Safety Engineer, Slovenian Infrastructure Agency (Slovenia)
- Brief Introduction to Research on Emergency Escape Lane & Ancillary Facility System for Expressways in Guizhou - Lianfu SHI, PIARC C1, Guizhou Transportation Planning Survey ﹠ Design Academe Co. LTD-China & Ana Tomaz
- Portugal-IP4 Expressway Improvements - Ana Tomaz, PIARC C1, Head of Road and Rail Safety Department of Infrastructure(Portugal)
- Safer Way to School - Uroš Brumec , PIARC C2, Road Safety Engineer, Slovenian Infrastructure Agency (Slovenia)
Session V: The road ahead to Abu Dhabi
14:00-14:35 - The key deliverables and timeline for TCC1 - Roberto Arditi, PIARC C1 Committee Chair; Director of Scientific Affairs, SINA (Italy)
- The key deliverables and timeline for TCC2 - Lorenzo Domenichini, PIARC C1 WGL, Professor, University of Florence (Italy)
15:10-15:25 - PIARC Plans for the future - Jean-François Corté, PIARC Strategic Theme Coordinator (France)
- Plans for the Abu Dhabi World Road Congress Oct 6-10, 2019 - Kirsten Graf-Landmann, PIARC Technical Advisor
Strategic Theme C (Germany)
15:40-16:00 - Round Table Discussion - Zhongyin Guo, Professor, Tongji University (China)
16:00-16:15 - Conclusions of Seminar and Closing Announcement - Chengcheng Tang, PIARC C2, RIOH (China)