- Dictionary : PIARC Road Dictionary/ English
- Theme : Financial and Legal Tools / Finance and Procurement / Economics and Finance
- Definition : Materials in a supply chain or in a segment of a supply chain, expressed in quantities, locations and/or values.
1. Stock can be situated in a pipeline, a warehouse, a store, in production, on a vehicle, in reception, etc., regardless of the actual ownership of these materials.
2. Stock was oriinally the physical article(s) and inventory was a list representing it, but the two terms have become interchangeable in use.
3. Inventory, when used as a generic term, is synonymous with stock. This use is common in the USA and extensive in the UK [EN 14943].
- Synonyms : inventory
Submit your remarks on this term