Getting started with the World Road Association's Website
The World Road Association is a non-profit organization that was established in 1909. The purpose of the association is to promote international cooperation on issues pertaining to roads and road transportation.
A total of 121 governments (2018) from all over the world are members of the organisation, representing all levels of economic development, as well as individuals and public or private organisations.
With its broad membership and geographic diversity, the vision of the World Road Association is to be "The world leader in the exchange of knowledge on roads and road transport policy and practices within the context of integrated, sustainable transport."
Our missions are to:
- Be a leading international forum for analysis and discussion of the full spectrum of transport issues related to roads and related transport;
- Identify, develop, and disseminate best practice and give better access to international information;
- Consider within its activities the needs of developing countries and countries in transition fully; and
- Design, produce, and promote efficient tools for decision making on matters related to roads and related transport.
To know more about:
Every four years the World Road Association launches a Strategic Plan to structure and develop its activities during a four-year working cycle.
The Strategic Plan 2016-2019 is organized in Strategic Themes that represent a continuation of work that remains at the core of road administrations' interests and signal the emergence of concerns about how to address the need of road infrastructure to withstand conditions imposed by short-lived extreme weather events and changes in long-term weather patterns. For the 2016-2019 cycle, there are five Strategic Theme.
For the 2016-2019 cycle, there are five Strategic Themes:
- Strategic Theme A: Management and Finance
- Strategic Theme B: Access and Mobility
- Strategic Theme C: Safety
- Strategic Theme D: Infrastructure
- Strategic Theme E: Climate Change, Environment and Disasters
Within the Strategic Themes, the Association creates and coordinates 18 Technical Committees and 4 Task Forces that regroup experts from its members over jointly agreed objectives.
To read more about the technical working structure, see page 13-17 in the Strategic Plan.
The 2016-2019 Strategic Plan emphasizes two key aspects: responsiveness and reach.
- Maintain a manageable framework;
- Articulate priorities while providing some degree of flexibility;
- Encourage more continuous generation of information products;
- Promote a more effective transition from the preceding cycle;
- Emphasize the cultivation of strategic alliances with outside organizations;
- Provide unquestioned value to the Association's constituency.
- Renewed emphasis on communication;
- Introduce a more strategic approach to communication and keep visibility as a priority;
- Take advantage of technology for this purpose.
Our outputs and reports
The World Road Association prides itself on its reports and outputs, which are high-quality and timely reference works that are widely used in the road and road transport sectors. Most are available free of charge. The Technical Committees establish a large number of documents such as reports or case studies.
They can be accessed with two possibilities:
Extensive online manuals were recently developed:
In our quarterly magazine, Routes/Roads, we publish technical feature articles and short articles related to the news and life of the Association.
Create an account
Most of the World Road Association's publications are available free of charge. To download documents or receive the newsletter of the World Road Association, you just have to create an account.
The World Road Association regularly organises several technical seminars spread over the world.
We also organise a major congress every other year:
- The World road congress - the last one took place in Seoul (South Korea) in 2015, the next one will take place in Abu Dhabi (United Arab Emirates) in October 6-10, 2019;
- The International Winter Road Congress - the last one took place in Andorra in February 2018, the next one will take place in Calgary (Canada) in 2022.
How can we work together?
The World Road Association is a powerful platform for knowledge sharing, which mobilizes expertise to share and develop information products for the benefits of the global transportation community. We also pursue cooperation with organisations with which we share similar goals and values.
You can also contact the relevant Technical Advisor for each Strategic Theme:
- Strategic Theme A - Management and Finance: Hyunseok Kim, +33 1 47 96 81 88, email@example.com
- Strategic Theme B - Access and Mobility: Yuya Namiki, +33 1 47 96 81 19, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Strategic Theme C - Safety: Kirsten Graf-Landmann, +33 1 47 96 81 85, email@example.com
- Strategic Theme D - Infrastructure: Claudine Tremblay, +1 418 454-8782, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Strategic Theme E - Climate Change, Environment and Disasters: Verónica Arias Espejel, +52 55 54 82 4219, email@example.com
Membership is encouraged from national governments, organisations such as universities or private companies as well as individuals.
In 43 countries (in 2018), a "National Committee" acts as a go-between.