- Dictionary : PIARC Road Dictionary/ English
- Theme : Roads / Design / Components of the Road
- Definition : Part of the roadway between the carriageway and the ditch or the (cutting or embankment) slope, which gives the carriageway lateral support.
1. The shoulder may be used for emergency stops in some countries; in these countries it comprises the hard shoulder for emergency use in the case of a road with separate carriageways.
2. In Australia, the verge is considered to be the section of the road formation that joins the shoulder with the batter.
- Synonyms : verge, side
Submit your remarks on this term